Thursday, April 23, 2015

Final work day - Sam

As the final day of our work with Project Homecoming comes to an end, the love that I have for New Orleans and the people who call it home has exceeded all of my expectations. Although the time we had with Christina (our site manager and constant inspiration), and the house belonging to the long-displaced Martin family, has been short, there is no doubt in my mind that each member of our group here has learned and nurtured a strong passion for service that will not fade when we arrive back home. As the Sisters at Duchesne House have said to us during our nightly reflections, we are all now tasked with finding and resolving the "Katrina"s in our own communities.
This week, the project I was assigned at our house was very unexpected. Christina asked me (along with Sarah and Veronica) to paint an old porch swing. Initially, I was concerned that this project seemed menial and unimportant. However, Christina went on to explain that this swing was the place in which the owner of the house would sit each day (and after he was gone, the son would do this) until they had to take it down from the porch because the water damage was making it unsafe. As our time with this swing went on, Christina asked me to paint the large front piece of it with flowers and the words "No place like Home" so that she could present it to the son and his family as they finally arrived back home (for the first time since Katrina). When I began working on this (mostly alone in the backyard or on the porch while everything else did work with building doors and cementing tiles) I realized what a striking opportunity I had - I was able to use my skills as an artist to make something that would, very literally, represent "home" to a family that has been broken up and displaced for a decade. I knew that the few hours I was spending on painting some magnolias on a bench would be important to an actual group of people, as well as Christina, who puts an incomparable amount of effort and love into the work she does. 
During our last couple hours on the site, we began writing our "love notes" - notes addressed to the impending inhabitants of the house, written in permanent marker on walls and sinks and wooden boards that would be painted over eventually. They are wishes of love and goodwill for the Martin family from all of the volunteers and workers who have worked on the house. My note (that I was lucky enough to be able to write on the back of the swing where it would stay visible) included the observation that "hope" and "home" are similar words for a reason. For the Martin family, as well as all the people who have yet to come back home to New Orleans, I hope that they can find solace in the unconditional love from all those who have worked rebuilding homes and neighborhoods and be able to find happiness in a new and changing community. I did not get the opportunity to meet the Martin family, but I love them and I am already wishing them a (preemptive) merry homecoming. 
Personally, I have found something that I could consider "home" during this past week. This is my first time being away from my actual home but it hasn't taken me long to fall in love with the city and people of New Orleans. There is an undying sense of hope, openness, and soul in this community - it's indescribable. Building relationships with the other group members has been a truly beautiful experience, I have never felt this sense if closeness among a group of my peers before - this is my definition of a family. 

Sam West


3 comments:

  1. Sam--What a thoughtful and touching reflection! That your talent was used to restore a treasure, an heirloom in the life of the Martin family is indeed a gift to them and to you.

    The old adage is "Home is where the heart is" and you have found new homes in the communities of New Orleans and in the community of your peers and the adults in service. Continue to create "homes" wherever you go--

    BFred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always known you're really something, Sam, and this proves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam

    The words in your reflection brought me to NOLA even though I've never been there. I am so happy that you had an amazing experience on this trip.

    ReplyDelete