Monday, April 27, 2015

Reflection - Veronica Beretta ('15)

Since returning home after a week spent on the NOLA mission trip I feel completely renewed culturally, spiritually and personally. This week was completely eye opening to me and I am beyond thankful for this experience. I also consider myself extremely lucky to have shared it with this group. You are all amazing individuals who I have had the pleasure of getting to know and sharing this experience with. Experiencing the "southern hospitality" in New Orleans was heart warming and made it very difficult to leave. Bonding as a small community with this group made the experience so cultivating. I was touched by my site construction manager Christina's story. She is a true inspiration, her drive and her unwavering sense of hope and love truly touched me. She is a true role model for me and how I hope to look at life. Being able to physically serve this week by building or painting was a new way for me to see and feel God. Physically making a difference this week was something that I truly enjoyed and wish to continue. I am honored to have worked on painting the porch swing/bench with Sarah and Sam. Working on something with so much sentimental value and importance was right up my alley. Knowing that our love notes will be forever on this family's bench swinging on the front porch is an amazing feeling. Knowing that I left something behind in NOLA made this experience very fulfilling. Christina was not exaggerating when she told us that the people of New Orleans were the most positive people you will ever meet in your life. Seeing where the levees broke and the amount of abandoned homes and overgrown empty lots was heart breaking to me. However, meeting and talking to most of the community they seem in great spirits and a strong community with great faith and hope. The love and hard work put into rebuilding this city is inspiring and I am so grateful I was a part of it. Thank you to everyone who made this the best week of my life. I love you all and look forward to producing a documentary to share our experiences and spread the word to our peers.

Veronica Beretta 
Class of 2015

1 comment:

  1. Veronica--Thank you for sharing. That swing must be something special--a part of you now rests in NOLA!!

    BFred

    ReplyDelete