Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wednesday (Mr. B)

As I've said, this is my fourth service trip to Nola. Historically, Wednesday has always been the most difficult day of work. The students have all come down from the initial "high" of arriving in the city and generally have not gotten enough sleep. So Wednesday has been a tough day to stay focused and on task. Last night I told this to the group in prayer and prayed for our ability to push through and do what we can. 

Today was fantastic, the group was energetic, eager, and always on the move. One small thing that I have noticed this year is that I have not one time had to tell any of the group to get back to work. These young men and women are fully engaged in the work they are doing and are taking the progress we are making personally and to heart; they have really taken ownership of their projects.

One more day of work, it always surprises me how fast this week goes. My prayers tonight are for the students to give everything they have tomorrow (in honor of the NHL playoffs I'll use a hockey reference) and leave it all on the ice. Secondly, I pray that the weather will be cooperative and allow us to get our full work day in.

On a personal note, we visited with Chief David Montana. Mr. Montana is a Mardi gras, or Carnival, Indian. He spoke with us about the tradition, his family tradition, and about the suits that he hand sews each and every year with his family and tribe. It's a fascinating story, but he said one thing the truly resonated with me. Someone in the group asked Mr. Montana how much his suits are worth; his answer was priceless. He told us that each suit costs around $2500 to make. But the true value in the suits is in the man hours spent sewing the intricate designs. The time invested is far more valuable than can be put into words, let alone be given a monetary value. I try every day to remind myself to be present, live in, and cherish the moment; it's not always easy. Mr. Montana's talk tonight reminded me that we have precious little time in this world...invest wisely!

Good night,
Mr. B

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments on the blog and for your leadership for a 4th year. I was particularly touched by your insight about living fully and cherishing the moment. Each day, as early as I rise, I recite a poem by e.e.cummings: "I thank you God for most this amazing day...for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes." We do have precious little time in this world!
    BFred

    ReplyDelete