Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Reflection - Jacob Khang

I got home from the trip and no one was home. My family didn’t have time to welcome me back and I realized why people always love these trips. It’s a family away from home. The community we made cannot be explained in words. All twelve of us brought something unique to NOLA. Heading into this trip I was nervous and afraid. I didn’t know what to expect and how I would fit in with the group, but by Friday night I knew that I belonged. I got to know every person on the trip, some better than others. The bonds I’ve created will stick with me forever.

For reflection, I shared that I lost my aunt around this time last year and I my emotions got the best of me. A year ago this week, I lost my aunt to cancer. Everything I said after that were words from my mouth, but I don’t remember thinking about them. I always keep my aunts funeral card in my phone case and there is a story on the back of it. It says, “One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each, I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints; other times there was only one. During the lowest times of my life I could see only one set of footprints, so I said, “Lord, you promised me, that you would walk with me always. Why, when I have needed you most, would you leave me?” The Lord replied, “My precious child, I love you and would never leave you. The times when you have seen only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.”

I didn’t know how I was going to get through the week, but the city and the group helped my mind drift away from the thought of her. It helped me focus on the task at hand and put 100% into everything I did throughout the week. The sense of community really made me feel at home and driving through a beautiful city with amazing people and seeing the smile on everyones face showed me that God is present at all times. NOLA ‘15 was an experience unlike any other. I can’t describe what I went through in words, but it is something everyone should experience for themselves. I recommend everyone to go, because NOLA is a such a beautiful place and it was great to have experienced it with this group. I love everyone that went: Gabby, Sarah, Ronnie, Kristen, Sam, Mrs. Cerros, Drew, Mason, Jake, Joe, Brian, Alex, and Mr. B. This trip ranks #1 on the list of things I’ve done at Lasalle and it is thanks to them.

2 comments:

  1. Jacob
    What a beautiful reflection! I'm so glad that the NOLA mission trip had such a profound effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob--Touching reflection.

    I think Jesus was maybe carrying you through New Orleans, assisted by your group!

    BFred

    ReplyDelete